The Unknown Lover" turns a spotlight on Solage, a rather mysterious figure from the late 14th century. Solage's known output consists of some dozen secular songs found in the legendary Chantilly Codex (c. 1400), all of which are performed here. Gothic Voices rounds out the repertoire with seven Machaut songs. While Machaut and Solage were not contemporaries, the former clearly influenced the latter, and their works complement each other well in this collection. Fourteenth century art music may sound quite strange to modern ears.
Artists Gothic Voices The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut Helas! je voy mon cuer. Helas! je voy mon cuer Gothic Voices. Unknown Submit Tempo you can also upload the audio file to get the Tempo.
Gothic Voices songs download, free online mp3 listen. Acoustic Sinners - Voices (as made famous by Disturbed). album: Gothic Acoustic Moods. Fumeux fume par fumee. album: The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut. Faithful Dawn - Voices. album: The Gothic Sounds of Nightbreed. Vergine donzella imperadrice. album: A Laurel for Landini. Speaking Of Silence - Immunity. album: Gothic Heavenly Voices.
Gothic Voices is a small consort of singers which has become world-renowned both for its unique repertoire and for the refinement, purity and spirituality of its performance of medieval music. Each singer is an experienced soloist and an integral member of the group. The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut.
2006 - Gothic Voices Gramophone Award Winners Collection - A Feather on the Breath of God, The Service of Venus and Mars, A Song for Francesca Released Sep 2006 on Hyperion CDS44251/3. 2006 - The Unknown Lover - Songs by Solage and Machaut Released on Avie AV2089. 2008 - A Laurel for Landini - 14th Century Italy's Greatest Composer Released on Avie AV2151.
By Solage, Gothic Voices. 1. S'aincy estoit - Solage, 3:140:30. Featured on The Unknown Lover: Songs by Solage and Machaut. Solage: Complete Works (Arr. for Guitar). Of Arms and a Woman: Late Medieval Wind Music. Think Subtilior (Cercle des fumeux & Songs and Sounds).
Biography by Timothy Dickey. Some aspects of being human must be "transhistorical," according to Christopher Page; sustained exposure to the music of the past opens a window onto how past humans experienced that music. Page has devote. ead Full Biography. Primary Artist, Vocal Ensemble. Malhacao Internacional 2004. Christmas Through the Ages.
|2||Mors Sui, Se Je Ne Vous Voy||4:02|
|3||En L'amoreux Vergier||4:57|
|4||Quant Je Sui Mis Au Retour||1:43|
|5||Tres Gentil Cuer||6:50|
|6||Fumeux Fume Par Fumee||4:26|
|7||Joieux De Cuer||4:00|
|8||Dame, Se Vous M'estes Lonteinne||2:29|
|9||Adieu Vous Di||2:51|
|10||Plus Dure Que Un Dyamant||3:28|
|14||Douce Dame, Tant Com Vivray||3:12|
|15||Le Mont Aön De Trace||3:19|
|16||Se Je Souspir Parfondement||2:38|
|17||Calextone, Qui Fut Dame||3:06|
|18||Dieus, Biaute, Douceur, Nature||4:30|
|19||Helas! Je Voy Mon Cuer||5:26|
- Marketed By – Avie Records – AV2089
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Gothic Voices – AV2089
- Copyright (c) – Gothic Voices – AV2089
- Recorded At – St Andrew's Church, Toddington – AV2089
- Baritone Vocals – Stephen Charlesworth (tracks: 4, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19)
- Bass Vocals – Jonathan Arnold (tracks: 6), Robert Macdonald (tracks: 6)
- Composed By – Guillaume de Machaut (tracks: 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18), Solage (tracks: 1, 3, 5 to 7, 9, 11 to 13, 15, 17, 19)
- Design, Art Direction – Hugh O'Donnell
- Engineer, Producer – Adrian Hunter
- Ensemble – Gothic Voices
- Liner Notes – Dr. Yolanda Plumley*
- Liner Notes [Editions] – Dr Yolanda Plumley*
- Liner Notes [French Translation] – Marie-Stella Pâris
- Liner Notes [German Translation] – Byword, London*
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals – Catherine King (tracks: 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 14, 16, 19)
- Music Consultant [Pronunciation Guidance] – Dr Alison Wray*
- Photography By [Back Cover] – Malcolm Crowthers
- Photography By [Interior, Inlay] – Steve Mitchel
- Tenor Vocals – Julian Podger (tracks: 1 to 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19), Steven Harrold (tracks: 1 to 3, 7, 10 to 15, 18, 19)
- Tenor Vocals, Liner Notes [Editions] – Leigh Nixon (tracks: 1, 5, 7, 9 to 13, 15)
- Translated By – Dr Rebecca Dixon*
NotesFirst complete recording of the music of Solage.
Total time 71:21
Recorded at St Andrew's Church, Toddington, Gloucestershire, England, 20-22 February 2006.
Cover illustration: Manuscrits occidetaux- Francais 1586 - Folio 47V, 'avec le portrait de Guillaume de Machaut, Bibliotheque nationale de France.
℗ © 2006 Gothic Voices
Manufactured and printed in the UK
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 8 22252 20892 4
- Label Code: LC11982
- Other (SPARS Code): DDD