Trace is the first album by Son Volt, released in 1995. The band was formed the previous year by Jay Farrar after the breakup of the influential alt-country band Uncle Tupelo.
any album he made before or since.
Released September 19, 1995.
Son Volt "Trace" (1995) album.
Trace is Son Volt’s first album, released in 1995, just like Wilco’s debut . In the popular mind, Son Volt won that round, with Trace outpacing its rival in terms of commercial impact, and additionally garnering much greater critical commendation. This acclaim is deserved, as twenty years on the album continues to stand out as one of the finest products of the alt-country genre. Regardless of later outcomes of the perceived Son Volt-Wilco rivalry, there can be no doubt that Farrar and company had very inspired beginnings to their band’s career
Tracklist Hide Credits
Drums – Craig Krampf
|3||Tear Stained Eye||4:21|
|5||Ten Second News||3:57|
|8||Out Of The Picture||3:50|
Accordion – Dan Newton
Bass – Marc PerlmanWritten-By – Ron Wood
- Distributed By – Columbia House – CRC
- Manufactured By – Cinram
- Bass, Backing Vocals – Jim Boquist
- Drums – Mike Heidorn
- Engineer – Hans Buff, Steve McKinstry
- Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle, Lap Steel Guitar, Dobro – Dave Boquist
- Mastered By – Howie Weinberg
- Mixed By – Brian Paulson (tracks: 4 to 6, 11), Peter Coleman
- Pedal Steel Guitar – Eric Heywood
- Producer – Brian Paulson, Son Volt
- Vocals, Guitar – Jay Farrar
- Written-By – Jay Farrar (tracks: 1 to 10)
NotesMade in Canada
Recorded at Salmagundi in Northfield, MN in November and December 1994. Additional recording at Sixteenth Avenue Sound and Emerald Sound Studios in Nashville, TN.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 7 7749-928796 9 02
- Matrix / Runout: #950831H CDW-46010 L381 MFG BY CINRAM
|9 46010-2||Son Volt||Trace (CD, Album)||Warner Bros. Records||9 46010-2||US||1995|
|1-46010, 9 46010-1||Son Volt||Trace (LP, Album)||Warner Bros. Records, Warner Bros. Records||1-46010, 9 46010-1||US||1995|
|#46010||Son Volt||Trace [Advance CD] (CD, Album, Promo)||Warner Bros. Records||#46010||US||1995|
|WPCR-16747||Son Volt||Trace (2xCD, Album, Dlx, RE)||Warner Bros. Records, Rhino Records||WPCR-16747||Japan||2015|
|4-46010, 9 46010-4||Son Volt||Trace (Cass, Album)||Warner Bros. Records, Warner Bros. Records||4-46010, 9 46010-4||US||1995|