Higher Ground (Johnny Hammond album). Higher Ground is an album by jazz organist Johnny Hammond recorded for the Kudu label in 1973. arranged, but as soon as Smith kicks in, the groove is established". The song "Big Sur Suite" has been sampled multiple times including The Beastie Boys "Pass the Mic" and Dr. Dre in "A Nigga Wit a Gun".
Written-By – Stevie Wonder. Written-By – Johnny Smith. Higher Ground (8-Trk, Album, Quad). OW 596. Johnny Hammond. Higher Ground (LP, Album).
Higher Ground is an album by jazz organist Johnny Hammond recorded for the Kudu label in 1973. Higher Ground is a studio album by American country singer Tammy Wynette released in 1987 on the Epic Records label. It reached in the US country charts. Three singles were released from the album, Your Love which reached in the US and in Canada, Talkin’ to Myself Again which reached in the US and in Canada, and Beneath a Painted Sky which reached in the US and in Canada (Country music charts).
John Robert "Johnny Hammond" Smith (December 16, 1933 – June 4, 1997) was an American soul jazz and hard bop organist. Born in Louisville, Kentucky, he was a renowned player of the Hammond B-3 organ so earning "Hammond" as a nickname, which also avoided his being confused with jazz guitarist Johnny Smith. Smith played with Paul Williams and Chris Columbo before forming his own group.
This is the cover art for Higher Ground by the artist Johnny Hammond. Higher Ground (Johnny Hammond album). The entire cover: because the image is cover art, a form of product packaging, the entire image is needed to identify the product, properly convey the meaning and branding intended, and avoid tarnishing or misrepresenting the image.
Johnny Hammond Smith 05-Johnny Hammond Smith-Black Feeling-When Sunny Gets Blue. Johnny Hammond Smith Neckbones (feat. Johnny Hammond Smith Lost On 23rd Street (1975). Johnny Hammond Smith Shirleys Theme.
With Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette, George Benson, Hank Crawford, Joe Henderson, Bob James, and a large horn section. arranged, but as soon as Smith kicks in, the groove is established.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Catch My Soul
Written-By – Jack Good, Tony Joe White
Written-By – Hathaway*, DuBose*, Gershwin*, Hutson*
Written-By – Stevie Wonder
|B2||Big Sur Suite
Written-By – Johnny Smith
- Distributed By – Musidisc
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Creed Taylor, Inc.
- Recorded At – Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
- Alto Saxophone – Hank Crawford (tracks: B2)
- Arranged By, Conductor, Electric Piano, Organ [Yamaha], Mellotron – Bob James
- Bass – Ron Carter
- Bass Trombone – Alan Raph, Paul Faulise
- Bassoon – Eli Carmen*
- Clarinet – Eddie Daniels
- Design [Album] – Bob Ciano
- Drums – Jack DeJohnette (tracks: B2), Steve Gadd
- Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
- French Horn – Ray Alonge
- Guitar – George Benson
- Oboe, Alto Flute – Romeo Penque
- Organ – Johnny Hammond
- Percussion – Phil Kraus, Ralph MacDonald
- Photography By [Album Cover] – Pete Turner
- Photography By [Album Liner] – William Cadge
- Producer [Uncredited] – Creed Taylor
- Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
- Trombone – Tony Studd, Wayne Andre
- Trumpet – Alan Rubin, John Frosk, Jon Faddis
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Marvin Stamm
NotesRecorded at Van Gelder Studios
Recorded October 31 and November 1, 1973
[Joe Henderson] *courtesy Milestone Records
Imprimé en France - AUDE 681.17.08
℗ 1973 Creed Taylor Inc.
Made in France
Released approximately in early 1980s.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 3229260000378
- Matrix / Runout (Run-out A): MPO MU CTI 9032 A
- Matrix / Runout (Run-out B): MPO MU CTI 9032 B
- Rights Society: SACEM SACD SDRM SGDL
- Other (Distribution code): MU 219
|KU-16||Johnny Hammond||Higher Ground (LP, Album)||Kudu||KU-16||US||1974|
|KQ8 16||Johnny Hammond||Higher Ground (8-Trk, Album, Quad)||Kudu||KQ8 16||US||1974|
|OW 596||Johnny Hammond||Higher Ground (LP, Album)||One Way , CTI Records||OW 596||Brazil||1974|
|KU-16||Johnny Hammond||Higher Ground (LP, Album)||Kudu||KU-16||Canada||1974|
|ZK 40692||Johnny Hammond||Higher Ground (CD, Album, RE, RM)||CBS Associated Records||ZK 40692||US||1987|