On spine only, title shown as "Pres. The Complete Savoy Recordings". Tracks A1, A3-A7, B2, B7-B8 previously unissued. All other titles issued on Savoy 12068 and 12071. All performances previously unissued on 12" LP.
Savoy’s complete compilation travels through two and a half hours of Lester Young’s studio sessions and rehearsal time. There are several takes for many of the numbers, and the listener has the opportunity to weigh which takes really matter. They all sound great. Nearly half of the selections heard here are Young’s. Ten tracks on disk two come from an April 2, 1950 Chicago performance of the Lester Young Quintet. An accompanying booklet includes an informative, 12-page article by Loren Schoenberg with photos, as well as a complete discography for this recommended, two-CD set. ADVERTISEMENT. Track Listing: Disk One With Johnny.
All the great songs and lyrics from the "Pres: The Complete Savoy Recordings" album ont he Web's largest and most authoritative lyrics resource. Lester Willis Young (August 27, 1909 – March 15, 1959), nicknamed "Pres" or "Prez", was an American jazz tenor saxophonist and clarinetist. He also played trumpet, violin, and drums.
Pres is a swing music album recording by LESTER YOUNG released in 1952 on CD, LP/Vinyl and/or cassette. Pres The Complete Savoy Recordings Savoy. The Pres: Jazz Immortals Series, Vol. 2 Savoy Jazz 1998.
While Young's solos were a marvelous paradox of the languid and the taut, his approach to putting a group together could be simply casual. technical quality of the recordings is about as good as you might expect, considering the source is shellac 78's, digitally reprocessed. 8 people found this helpful.
The first to be explored is the recordings he did in a two-week period in 1944 as both a sideman and as a bandleader. The first twenty tracks are culled from sessions he did on April 18th of 1944 with the Johnny Guarnieri All-Star Orchestra and Earle warren Orchestra. Had it not been pointed out by the excellent and annotated liner note by Loren Schoenberg, there would be no real way of telling for sure that Young was even on these sessions. Don't let the large amount of alternate takes fool you. There were many great players, but Pres was one of those select few who could come up with something completely new from one take to the next, and Lester's ability to say so much with so few notes is unsurpassed. Lester can say more with a chorus or two than most sax players could with fifteen. It's not hard to understand why Charlie Parker studied Lester's recordings.
For a limited time only. This is a new, unopened CD in its original packaging. View more - View less -. Lester Young. Complete savoy recordings CD. Delivery: Out of Stock. Guarantee: Backed by the Merchbar Guarantee. Easy returns, great customer service and 100% authentic merch. More from Lester Young. JAZZ AT THE PHILHARMONIC: LESTER YOUNG CARNEGIE Vinyl Record.
Erroll Garner - The Elf (The Savoy Sessions) 2LP Savoy Records Catalogue Number SJL 2207. Stompin' At The Savoy. I Cover The Waterfront. Red Sails In The Sunset. Lester Young – Pres/The Complete Savoy Recordings. Label: Savoy Jazz – WL 70505(2). C6 Jump Lester Jump 3:15.
|A1||Circus In Rhythm||2:55|
|A2||Circus In Rhythm||3:11|
|A3||Circus In Rhythm||3:03|
|A4||Poor Little Plaything||2:55|
|A5||Poor Little Plaything||2:57|
|A8||These Foolish Things||2:58|
|B1||Exercise In Swing||3:00|
|B2||Exercise In Swing||2:47|
|B3||Exercise In Swing||3:08|
|B4||Exercise In Swing||2:59|
|B5||Salute To Fats||3:21|
|B6||Salute To Fats||4:15|
|B7||Salute To Fats||3:56|
|C2||Ghost Of A Chance||3:26|
|C3||Ghost Of A Chance||3:20|
|C6||Jump Lester Jump||3:15|
|C7||Crazy Over J-Z||2:44|
|C8||Crazy Over J-Z||2:47|
|D1||Crazy Over J-Z||2:41|
|D5||Blues 'N' Bells||2:32|
|D6||Blues 'N' Bells||2:21|
|D7||Blues 'N' Bells||2:22|
- Distributed By – Dischi Ricordi S.p.A.
- Copyright (c) – Arista Records, Inc.
- Printed By – Grafica Pozzoli S.p.A.
- Alto Saxophone – Earl Warren* (tracks: A1 to A7), Jimmy Powell (tracks: A1 to A7)
- Art Direction – Nancy Greenberg, Bob Heimall*
- Artwork By – Bill Hoffman
- Baritone Saxophone – Rudy Rutherford (tracks: A1 to A7)
- Bass – Billy Taylor* (tracks: A8 to B11), Leroy Jackson (tracks: C7, C8, D1 to D8), Rodney Richardson (tracks: A1 to A7, C1 to C6)
- Clarinet – Hank D'Amico (tracks: A8 to B11)
- Design – Nancy Greenberg, Robert L. Heimall (tracks: Bob Heimall)
- Drums – Cozy Cole (tracks: A8 to B11), Jo Johnson (tracks: A1 to A7), Roy Haynes (tracks: C7, C8, D1 to D8), Shadow Wilson (tracks: C1 to C6)
- Edited By – Jack Towers, Jerry Valburn
- Executive Producer – Steve Backer
- Guitar – Dexter Hall (tracks: A8 to B11), Freddie Green (tracks: A1 to A7, C1 to C6)
- Liner Notes – J.R. Taylor
- Mastered By – Al Brown
- Piano – Clyde Hart (tracks: A1 to A7), Count Basie (tracks: C1 to C6), Johnny Guarnieri (tracks: A8 to B11), Junior Mance (tracks: C7, C8, D1 to D8)
- Producer [Original Sessions] – Buck Ram, Teddy Reig
- Reissue Producer – Bob Porter
- Tenor Saxophone – Buddy Tate (tracks: A1 to A7), Lester Young
- Transferred By – Jack Towers, Jerry Valburn
- Trombone – Dickie Wells (tracks: A1 to A7), Eli Robinson (tracks: A1 to A7), Jerry Elliot* (tracks: C7, C8, D1 to D8), Lou Taylor (tracks: A1 to A7), Ted Donelly* (tracks: A1 to A7)
- Trumpet – Al Killian (tracks: A1 to A7), Billy Butterfield (tracks: A8 to B11), Ed Lewis (tracks: A1 to A7), Harry Edison (tracks: A1 to A7), Jesse Drakes (tracks: C7, C8, D1 to D8), Joe Newman (tracks: A1 to A7)
- Vocals – Earl Warren* (tracks: A1 to A7)
NotesA1 to B11 - WOR Studios, New York, April 18, 1944
C1 to C6 - WOR Studios, New York, May 1, 1944
C7 to D8 - New York, June 28, 1949
On spine and gatefold sleeve liner notes, artist is given as "Lester Willis Young", all other credits as "Lester Young". On spine only, title shown as "Pres./The Complete Savoy Recordings".
Tracks A1, A3-A7, B2, B7-B8 previously unissued. All other titles issued on Savoy 12068 and 12071.
All performances previously unissued on 12" LP.
|SJL 2202||Lester Young||Pres/The Complete Savoy Recordings (2xLP, Comp, Gat)||Savoy Records||SJL 2202||US||1976|
|SJL 2202||Lester Young||Pres/The Complete Savoy Recordings (2xLP, Comp, Promo, Gat)||Savoy Records||SJL 2202||US||1976|
|1C 148-99 007/08||Lester Young||Pres/The Complete Savoy Recordings (2xLP, Comp, Mono, Gat)||Savoy Records||1C 148-99 007/08||Germany||1976|
|ZD70819||Lester Young||The Savoy Recordings (CD, Album, Comp)||Savoy Records||ZD70819||Europe||1986|
|WL 70505||Lester Young||Pres/The Complete Savoy Recordings (2xLP, Comp, Mono, RE, Gat)||Savoy Jazz||WL 70505||Germany||1984|