Contact Tom Harrell on Messenger. Artist · Musician/band. Tom Harrell trumpet Donnie McCaslin sax Ben Allison bass Steve Smith drums.
Tom Harrell has penned some great tunes throughout his career, and a couple of them can be found on this album. The title track for instance, is a really nice bossa with some lovely flugelhorn playing from Tom, and some fine work from John Abercrombie. It Always Is' is another classic track, but they are ALL very good.
Tom Harrell is in a classical mood on his genre-blending First Impressions. This isn’t new for the brilliant trumpeter-composer. The six-part suite The Adventures of a Quixotic Character, off Harrell’s 2014 album Trip, had a classical feel to it, and this new album’s liner notes, by Robert Baird, trace Harrell’s blending of classical music and jazz in his earlier work. But the emphasis of that fusion is heightened on First Impressions, and the jazz/classical recipe is seasoned with tastes of other styles as well.
Tom Harrell – Tom Harrell is an American jazz trumpeter, flugelhornist, composer, and arranger. Harrell has won awards and grants, including multiple Trumpeter of the Year awards from Down Beat magazine, SESAC Jazz Award, BMI Composers Award and he received a Grammy Award nomination for his big band album, Times Mirror. Tom Harrell was born in Urbana, Illinois but moved to the San Francisco Bay Area at the age of five and he started playing trumpet at eight, and within five years he was playing gigs with local bands. In 2000 Harrell received a Grammy nomination for this album in category Best Large Jazz Ensemble Performance, several of the tracks were originally composed by Harrell in the 1960s and are arranged for big band, recorded and released for the first time on this album.
Listen to Colors Of A Dream by Tom Harrell - a new album (release date: October 22, 2013) @ New Releases No. After a full career which has spanned decades without a lull Tom Harrell is as busy as ever. Here he introduces a new, project which supplements his working quintet with two new additions - saxophonist Jaleel Shaw and bassist/singer Esperanza Spalding. Esperanza can be heard lending her voice to a number of Tom's impressive compositions, sometimes using it in a such way that it takes on the role of an instrument and also delivering a wonderfully unique version of his popular 'Sail Away' in Portuguese ('Velejar').
|2||Visions Of Gaudi||9:02|
|4||I Don't Know||9:05|
|7||Because I Love You (Alternate Take)||8:46|
|8||Everything I Love||8:21|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Fantasy, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Fantasy, Inc.
- Recorded At – A&R Studios
- Mastered At – Fantasy Studios
- Recorded At – Radio Suisse Romande
- Alto Saxophone, Executive Producer – George Robert (tracks: 6, 7, 8)
- Art Direction, Design – Phil Carroll
- Bass – Charlie Haden (tracks: 4, 5), Ray Drummond (tracks: 1, 2, 3), Reggie Johnson (tracks: 6, 7, 8)
- Drums – Adam Nussbaum (tracks: 1, 2), Billy Hart (tracks: 3), Paul Motian (tracks: 4, 5)
- Drums, Producer, Mixed By – Bill Goodwin (tracks: 6, 7, 8)
- Flugelhorn – Tom Harrell (tracks: 1, 2, 4)
- Flute – Cheryl Pyle (tracks: 4)
- Guitar, Synthesizer – John Abercrombie (tracks: 2)
- Liner Notes – Peter Keepnews
- Mastered By [Digital Mastering] – George Horn
- Mixed By [Assistant] – Eric Thompson
- Photography By – Georgia Gillfillan
- Piano – Dado Moroni (tracks: 6, 7, 8), Danilo Perez (tracks: 4, 5), James Williams (tracks: 1, 2), Niels Lan Doky (tracks: 3)
- Recorded By – Blaise Favre (tracks: 6 to 8), Jim Anderson (tracks: 1 to 5), Pierre Resin (tracks: 6 to 8)
- Soprano Saxophone – Bob Berg (tracks: 3), David Liebman (tracks: 2), Joe Lovano (tracks: 4, 5)
- Tenor Saxophone – Joe Lovano (tracks: 1)
- Trumpet – Tom Harrell (tracks: 3)
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Tom Harrell (tracks: 6, 7, 8)
Notes#1 : Recorded March 22, 1989 at A&R Studios, New York
#2 : Recorded March 23, 1989 at A&R Studios, New York
#3 : Recorded January 27, 1988 at A&R Studios, New York
#4-5 : Recorded April 8 and 9, 1990 at A&R Studios, New York
#6-8 : Recorded April 18 and 19, 1987 at Radio Suisse, Romande Studios, Lausanne, Switzerland
Assembled March 20-21, 1991 at A&R Studios, New York
Mastered at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley
℗&© 1991 Fantasy, Inc.
Inner booklet with liner notes
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 02521814632