Album Notes Köln is Marshall Gilkes’s fourth album as leader and his first fronting a big band, although he’s by no means new to that setting. For one, he’s a regular member of Maria Schneider’s Grammy-winning orchestra. Schneider describes him as "one of those musicians who continually just drops my jaw and leaves me shaking my head in disbelief. 4711 Special, written specifically with the WDR Big Band in mind, bears its name from the Original Eau de Cologne, which has been produced in the region for over 200 years. References to the famous fragrance abound in the arts-from the novel Breakfast at Tiffany’s to the cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show-but, like this tune’s theme, the references always return to something known, memorable, and satisfying.
European big band releases and trombone-fronted albums rarely place (well) in American jazz polls, but Köln could prove to be the exception. This is an early contender for album of the year. Track Listing: My Shining Hour; Vesper; 4711 Special; Edenderry Intro; Edenderry; Plant Based; Mary Louise; End In Sight Intro; End In Sight; Downtime
January 21, 2014 - January 23, 2014. WDR Funkhaus Studio 4, Cologne, Germany. Marshall Gilkes, WDR Big Band.
Marshall Gilkes - arranger, conductor, trombone. WDR Big Band Personnel: Johan Horlen, Karolina Strassmayer - alto saxophone, flute, clarinet Olivier Peters - tenor saxophone, clarinet Paul Heller - tenor saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet Jens Neufang - baritone saxophone, bass clarinet Ludwig Nuss, Shannon Barnett, Andy Hunter - trombone Mattis Cederberg - bass trombone Wim Both, Rob Bruynen, Andy Haderer, John Marshall, Michael Rodriguez - trumpet, flugelhorn Frank Chastenier - piano Paul Shigihara - guitar John Goldsby - bass Hans. Alternate Side Records. Recorded in the WDR Funkhaus Studio 4, Cologne on January 21-23, 2014. Thanks to snobb for the addition and js for the updates. No release results found : showing artist results instead. Always Forward CD Baby 2018.
Orchestra in Cologne, Germany.
Marshall Gilkes – Marshall Gilkes is an American jazz trombonist and composer. Marshall Gilkes was born in Camp Springs, Maryland to a family, his mother was a classical vocalist and pianist. Due to his fathers profession, he had an itinerant upbringing in Washington. In 2010, he became a member of the Grammy Award-winning WDR Big Band. In February 2015, he released his album Köln, his first fronting a big band, Köln received two Grammy nominations for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album and Best Instrumental Composition. 3. Jazz – Jazz is a music genre that originated amongst African Americans in New Orleans, United States, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and developed from roots in Blues and Ragtime. Since the 1920s jazz age, jazz has become recognized as a form of musical expression.
Köln is an album by Marshall Gilkes and the WDR Big Band References. Retrieved 2017-02-22. Archived from the original on 2015-07-14. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
|1||My Shining Hour||6:55|
|8||End In Sight Intro||1:19|
|9||End In Sight||8:40|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Westdeutscher Rundfunk
- Copyright (c) – Alternate Side Records
- Recorded At – WDR Funkhaus, Köln
- Arranged By, Conductor, Trombone, Producer – Marshall Gilkes
- Bass – John Goldsby
- Composed By – Arlen/Mercer* (tracks: 1)
- Composed By, Producer – Marshall Gilkes (tracks: 2 to 10)
- Coordinator [Production] – Annette Hauber
- Design – Mattis Cederberg
- Drums – Hans Dekker
- Engineer – Rolf Lingenberg
- Engineer [Assistant] – Walter Platte
- Guest, Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Michael Rodriguez
- Guitar – Paul Shigihara
- Mastered By – Christian Schmitt
- Mixed By – Christian Schmitt, Rolf Lingenberg
- Photography By – Lieve Boussauw
- Piano – Frank Chastenier
- Producer – Christian Schmitt
- Reeds – Jens Neufang, Johan Hörlen*, Karolina Strassmayer, Olivier Peters, Paul Heller
- Trombone – Andy Hunter , Ludwig Nuss*, Mattis Cederberg, Shannon Barnett
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Andy Haderer, John Marshall , Rob Bruynen, Wim Both
NotesRecorded January 21-23, 2014 in the WDR Funkhaus Studio 4, Cologne, Germany.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 641752731325