Diamond Life is the debut studio album by English band Sade. It was first released in the United Kingdom on 16 July 1984 by Epic Records and in the United States on 27 February 1985 by Portrait Records. After studying fashion design, and later modelling, Sade Adu began backup singing with British band Pride. During this time Adu and three of the original members of "Pride"-Paul Anthony Cook, Paul Denman and Stuart Matthewman-left the group to form their own band called Sade.
Diamond Life is Sade’s debut album. Released two years after the group formed in 1982, it is a modern soul classic. The album eventually went on to achieve an astonishing 4x platinum certification in both the UK and US, selling more than seven million copies worldwide. It won a ‘Best Album’ BRIT Award, and spawned some of Sade’s most well-loved singles – Your Love Is King, Smooth Operator, When Am I Going To Make A Living and Hang On To Your Love.
When Sade released Diamond Life in their native . they were already a kind of sensation. The band had scored hits with their first singles, the smoldering Top Ten ballad "Your Love Is King" and the perseverant soul anthem "When Am I Going to Make a Living," both of which only faintly resembled anything else on the chart. Magazines such as The Face and Smash Hits had published cover features, intensifying anticipation for the album.
Listen to Diamond Life by Sade on Deezer. Composers: Helen Adu - Stuart Matthewman - Andrew Hale - Paul Denman. 06. Cherry Pie (Album Version).
Tracklist Hide Credits
Words By, Music By – St. John*, Adu*
|2||Your Love Is King||3:40|
|3||Hang On To Your Love||5:54|
|4||Frankie's First Affair||4:38|
|5||When Am I Going To Make A Living||3:25|
|8||I Will Be Your Friend||4:43|
|9||Why Can't We Live Together
Words By, Music By – Timmy Thomas
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sony Music Entertainment (UK) Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – Sony Music Entertainment (UK) Ltd.
- Manufactured By – DADC Austria
- Recorded At – Power Plant Studios
- Bass – Paul S. Denman
- Design [Sleeve] – Graham Smith
- Drums – Paul Cooke
- Drums, Percussion – Dave Early
- Engineer – Ben Rogan
- Engineer [Production] – Mike Pela
- Guitar, Saxophone – Stuart Matthewman
- Keyboards – Andrew Hale
- Music By – Hale* (tracks: 6), Denman* (tracks: 6), Adu* (tracks: 2 to 8), Matthewman* (tracks: 2 to 8)
- Percussion – Martin Ditcham
- Photography By – Chris Roberts
- Producer – Robin Millar
- Recorded By – CBS Records
- Trumpet – Gordon Matthewman, Terry Bailey
- Vocals – Sade Adu
- Words By – Adu* (tracks: 2 to 8)
NotesReissue with IFPI mould code after 1994 year. Another, otherwise identical, version exists without a Mould SID code: Diamond Life.
Made in Austria
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 5 099748 117823
- Barcode (Scanned): 5099748117823
- Rights Society: MCPS/BIEM
- Label Code: LC 0199
- Price Code: CB 701
- Other: CDM
- Matrix / Runout (Runout): DADC AUSTRIA
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): CDEPC-26044 73
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 941R
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): CDEPC-26044 73 B1
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 94D9
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): CDEPC-26044 73 B5
- Mould SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI 945C
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 4): CDEPC-26044 73 B2
- Mould SID Code (Variant 4): IFPI 94H1
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 5): CDEPC-26044 73 B6
- Mould SID Code (Variant 5): IFPI 94Y3
|EPC 26044||Sade||Diamond Life (LP, Album, Gat)||Epic, Epic||EPC 26044||UK||1984|
|EPC CD 26044, CD 26044, 01-026044-10||Sade||Diamond Life (CD, Album, RE)||Epic, Epic, Epic||EPC CD 26044, CD 26044, 01-026044-10||Europe||Unknown|
|EPC 26044, 26044||Sade||Diamond Life (LP, Album)||Epic, Epic||EPC 26044, 26044||Turkey||1985|
|EPC 26044||Sade||Diamond Life (LP, Album)||Epic||EPC 26044||Spain||1984|
|ELPS 4445||Sade||Diamond Life (LP, Album, Gat)||Epic||ELPS 4445||Australia||1984|