The Crane Wife is the fourth album by The Decemberists, released in 2006. The album was inspired by a Japanese folk tale, and centers on two song cycles, The Crane Wife and The Island, the latter inspired by William Shakespeare's The Tempest. National Public Radio listeners voted The Crane Wife the best album of 2006.
The Crane Wife 3 is the opening track to the Decemberists fourth album, The Crane Wife. It’s based on the Japanese folk tale, The Crane Wife. In the tale, a man finds and saves a dying crane, and shortly after releasing it a woman comes to his door telling him she loves him. They get married, but fall on hard times. Overcome by curiosity, he breaks his promise and peaks into the room where his wife makes the cloth. He is shocked to see a crane picking out her own feathers and weaving them into cloth. The crane sees him and flies away, never to return. This song takes place after the end of this story, when the man is ashamed at his blindness and greed. The album follows and presents its own take on the story of the Japanese folktale of the same name.
The Decemberists’ ornate, highly literary folk-pop reached peak clarity on The Crane Wife, their first for a major label. Anchored by a song cycle based on an old Japanese folktale, the album (whose other subjects include the Siege of Leningrad and a Protestant paramilitary group in Northern Ireland) is a wildly ambitious undertaking, more indebted to Jethro Tull than indie rock, peppered by bouzouki and hurdy-gurdy and other obscure, alluring sounds that helped foster the band’s deserved cult audience. The Crane Wife The Decemberists. The Decemberists’ ornate, highly literary folk-pop reached peak clarity on The Crane Wife, their first for a major label.
The Crane Wife is loosely based on a Japanese folk tale that concerns a crane, an arrow, a beautiful woman, and a whole lot of clandestine weaving. The record's spirited opener and namesake picks off almost exactly where Picaresque left off, building slowly off a simple folk melody before exploding into some serious Who power chords. This is the first indication that the band itself was ready to take the loosely ornate, reverb-heavy Decemberists sound to a new sonic level, or rather that producers Tucker Martine and Chris Walla were.
The Crane Wife 3" opens the album with a ruminative flourish as John Moen's drums push the sensuous thrust of the music and Meloy's delivery of the lines "each feather it fell from skin" colors the resignation of "I will hang my head hang my head lo. It opens the album en medias res, setting up the subsequent story-songs as the narrator's rueful reminiscences
Producer – Christopher Walla, The Decemberists, Tucker Martine. Viola, Violin – Eyvind Kang. Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bouzouki, Percussion – Colin Meloy. Voice – Ezra Holbrook. Voice, Keyboards – Christopher Walla. Written-By – Colin Meloy.
Folk Rock The Decemberists. Mitglieder die dieses Album besitzen3. 1. The Crane Wife, Pt. 3. 2. The Island : I Come and See II The Landlord's Daughter III You'll Not F. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then). 4. O Valencia! 5. The Perfect Crime 2. 6. When the War Came /. 7. When the War Came. 8. Shankill Butchers. 10. The Crane Wife, Pts. 1 & 2. 11. Sons & Daughters.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||The Crane Wife 3||4:18|
|2||The Island: Come And See - The Landlord's Daughter - You'll Not Feel The Drowning||12:26|
|3||Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)
Vocals [Voice Of Girl] – Laura Veirs
|5||The Perfect Crime #2||5:33|
|6||When The War Came||5:06|
|9||The Crane Wife 1 & 2||11:19|
|10||Sons & Daughters||5:13|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Capitol Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Capitol Records, Inc.
- Manufactured By – EMI Music Canada
- Distributed By – EMI Music Canada
- Published By – Osterozhna! Music
- Recorded At – Kung Fu Bakery
- Mixed At – Big Jesus Burger Studios
- Mastered At – SAE Mastering
- A&R – Laurel Stearns, Ron Laffitte
- Backing Vocals [Backing Voice] – Ezra Holbrook
- Backing Vocals [Backing Voice], Keyboards [Some Keyboardy Bits] – Christopher Walla*
- Booking – Kevin French
- Design – Carson Ellis, Colin Meloy, Mike King
- Double Bass [Upright Bass], Electric Bass, Cello, Backing Vocals [Backing Voice], Percussion – Nate Query
- Drums [Hand Drums] – Steve Drizos
- Drums, Backing Vocals [Backing Voice], Percussion – John Moen
- Electric Guitar, Bouzouki, Banjo, Guitar [Square Neck Guitar], Hurdy Gurdy, Pedal Steel Guitar, Dulcimer [Hammered Dulcimer], Percussion, Backing Vocals [Backing Voice] – Chris Funk
- Engineer [Assistant Engineer] – Rich Hipp
- Illustration, Artwork [Lettering] – Carson Ellis
- Layout – Mike King
- Legal – Gillian Bar
- Management – Dawn Barger
- Mastered By – Roger Seibel
- Mixed By – Christopher Walla* (tracks: 3, 4, 6, 8), Tucker Martine (tracks: 1, 2, 4 to 10)
- Organ [Hammond Organ], Accordion, Electric Piano [Wurlitzer], Organ [Pump Organ], Synthesizer [Moog], Glockenspiel, Backing Vocals [Backing Voice], Percussion – Jenny Conlee
- Performer – The Decemberists
- Photography By [Band Portraits Drawn From Photographs By] – Autumn de Wilde*
- Producer – Christopher Walla*, Tucker Martine
- Producer [With] – The Decemberists
- Songwriter – Colin Meloy
- Viola, Violin – Eyvind Kang
- Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bouzouki, Percussion – Colin Meloy
Notes℗ © 2006 Capitol Records, Inc.
Recorded at Kung Fu Bakery in Portland, Oregon between April and June, 2006.
"Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)" mixed at BJB.
Mastered at SAE Mastering in Phoenix, AZ.
Track durations not listed on release.
CD Hub Contains Text - Made In Canada
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 9463-53984-2 7
- Barcode (Scanned): 094635398427
- Matrix / Runout: A 7301 094635398427 F60812-05
- Mastering SID Code: L384
- Mould SID Code: IFPI 1F03
- Rights Society: BMI
|C1 0946 3 53984 1 0||The Decemberists||The Crane Wife (2xLP, Album)||Capitol Records||C1 0946 3 53984 1 0||US||2006|
|RTRADCD456||The Decemberists||The Crane Wife (CD, Album)||Rough Trade||RTRADCD456||UK||2007|
|B0025706-01||The Decemberists||The Crane Wife (10th Anniversary Edition) (5xLP, Album, Red + Blu-ray, Liv + Box, Ltd, Sig)||Capitol Records||B0025706-01||US||2016|
|0946 3 72908 2 8||The Decemberists||The Crane Wife (CD, Album)||Capitol Records||0946 3 72908 2 8||Europe||2006|
|none||The Decemberists||Instrumentals (The Crane Wife) (CDr, Comp, Promo)||Stage Three Music||none||US||2007|