Hallelujah Anyhow is Hiss Golden Messenger’s 8th (or 9th, if you count Vestapol as its own album) record. It is not explicitly a political album – it does not possess overt references to the current political climate – but it is nonetheless an album relevant to the present. When the Wall Comes Down represents the closest to overt politics MC Taylor comes, using a figurative wall to allude to literal walls, to the inutility of putting up or keeping up walls
If one lyric encapsulates Hiss Golden Messenger’s ninth album, it’s Step back, Jack, from the darkness, from closing track When the Wall Comes Down. After the guilt and reflection of 2016’s Heart Like a Levee, frontman . Taylor is seeking the bright side-with his band’s bluesy Americana sounding richer than ever.
Hiss Golden Messenger.
Hiss Golden Messenger, the . Taylor-fronted folk band, have announced their next studio album. Hallelujah Anyhow-the follow-up to last year’s Heart Like a Levee-is out September 22 via Merge Records. The 10-track LP was produced by Taylor and Megafaun’s Brad Cook, who also plays bass guitar. It was recorded with Brad and Phil Cook, Chris Boerner, Josh Kaufman, Darren Jessee, Michael Lewis, and Scott Hirsch. In addition, there are vocal contributions from Superchunk’s Mac McCaughan, Alexandra Sauser-Monnig, Tift Merritt, Skylar Gudasz, Tamisha Waden, and John Paul White
Hiss Golden Messenger. Here, Taylor's melodies sound both sunny and weathered, the work of a man who has seen good and bad in the world and has opted to remain optimistic without letting go of his realism.
But with Hiss Golden Messenger’s new album Hallelujah Anyhow, he continues a white-hot streak that started in earnest with 2013’s Haw, a dark, bottomless pool of a record that crystallized Taylor’s spiritual take on country, soul, blues and rock. His 2014 followup Lateness of Dancers and last year’s Heart Like a Levee were every bit as essential. On Hallelujah Anyhow, he sounds more comfortable than ever before, and that’s saying something. Taylor’s songs are warm and well-worn. His band moves as a single organism.
Hiss Golden Messenger. Follow Hiss Golden Messenger and others on SoundCloud. Album release date: 22 September 2017. 1. Jenny of the Roses.
Get the Tempo of the tracks from Hallelujah Anyhow (2017) by Hiss Golden Messenger. This album has an average beat per minute of 130 BPM (slowest/fastest tempos: 130/130 BPM). See its BPM profile at the bottom of the page. Tracklist Hallelujah Anyhow. 2. Lost Out in the Darkness.
It's ten new songs, penned by HGM principal . etix. Hiss Golden Messenger. 15 February ·. See you in May, Charleston, city of dreams! Thanks for the invite, Widespread Panic!
|A1||Jenny Of The Roses||3:39|
|A2||Lost Out In The Darkness||3:22|
|A5||I Am The Song||2:49|
|B1||Gulfport You've Been On My Mind||4:42|
|B2||John The Gun||3:28|
|B3||Domino (Time Will Tell)||3:44|
|B4||Caledonia, My Love||3:04|
|B5||When The Wall Comes Down||4:04|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Merge Records
- Copyright (c) – Merge Records
- Copyright (c) – M.C. Taylor
- Copyright (c) – Prophecy Connection
- Mastered At – The Kitchen
- Pressed By – Precision Record Pressing – 10-83749
- Mastered At – GZ Media – 161466E
- Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, Written-By, Producer – M.C. Taylor
- Artwork [Cover Artwork] – Sam Smith
- Bass Guitar, Producer, Mixed By – Brad Cook
- Drums, Percussion – Darren Jessee
- Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin – Josh Kaufman
- Engineer – Scott Hirsch
- Engineer, Mixed By, Mastered By – Chris Boerner
- Harmony Vocals – Alexandra Sauser-Monnig, John Paul White, Mac McCaughan, Skylar Gudasz, Tamisha Waden, Tift Merritt
- Layout – Daniel Murphy
- Photography By [Cover Photograph By] – Andy Tennille
- Photography By [Interior Photographs By] – Matt McCaughan
- Piano [Acoustic Piano], Electric Piano, Slide Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals – Phil Cook
- Saxophone – Michael Lewis
- Trombone – Evan Ringel
NotesGatefold sleeve. Contains full download.
Mastered at Kitchen Mastering, Carrboro, NC.
Copyright 2017 M.C. Taylor/Prophecy Connection, BMI.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 6 73855 06051 4
- Barcode (Scanned): 0673855060514
- Label Code: LC 29279
- Matrix / Runout (Side A, Etched): MRG 605-A N Psalms for I
- Matrix / Runout (Side A, Stamped): 10-83749/MRG605-A 161466E1/A
- Matrix / Runout (Side B, Etched): MRG 605-B N Dreader than dread
- Matrix / Runout (Side B, Stamped): 161466E2/A 10-83749/MRG605-B
- Rights Society: BMI
|MRG605||Hiss Golden Messenger||Hallelujah Anyhow (CDr, Album, Promo)||Merge Records||MRG605||US||2017|
|MRG605||Hiss Golden Messenger||Hallelujah Anyhow (CD, Album)||Merge Records||MRG605||US||2017|