Connection is an album by Don Ellis recorded in 1972 and released on the Columbia label. The album features big band arrangements of pop hits of the day along with Ellis' "Theme from The French Connection" which won him a Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement in 1973.
Connection (Don Ellis album). Connection is an album by Don Ellis recorded in 1972 and released on the Columbia label. character of Ellis' earlier work is missing on this recently reissued recording from 1972. He and the bandmembers solo less often, preferring instead to let the music flow with popular melodies. Vocals are added to several selections. Electric guitar and electric bass take center stage much of the time. Keyboards surround the band with lush scenery. Still, some of Ellis' trademark features are still there. His trumpet rages powerfully on "Superstar" and his flugelhorn floats gently on "Alone Again (Naturally)".
Don Ellis (July 25, 1934 – December 17, 1978) was an American jazz trumpeter, drummer, composer and bandleader. He is best known for his extensive musical experimentation, particularly in the area of unusual time signatures. Later in his life he worked as a film composer, among other works contributing a score to 1971's The French Connection and 1973's The Seven-Ups.
Connection - Студийный альбом от Don Ellis. В альбом вошло 11 треков. Продолжительность альбома: 46:36. Don Ellis Orchestra - Put It Where You Want It 1972. Billie Eilish - re (Vertical Video). Billie Eilish - you should see me in a crown (Vertical Video).
This album has an average beat per minute of 170 BPM (slowest/fastest tempos: 170/170 BPM). See its BPM profile at the bottom of the page. Tracklist Connection. BPM Profile Connection. Album starts at BPM, ends at BPM (+0), with tempos within the -BPM range. Try refreshing the page if dots are missing). Recent albums by Don Ellis.
Don Ellis - Connection/05 - Theme from 'The French Connection'. Don Ellis - Connection/Don Ellis Orchestra - Connection. Don Ellis - Connection/Artwork/ - . 0. Don Ellis - ooket . ng - . 5. 6. Don Ellis - Connection/04 - I Feel the Earth Move. Don Ellis - Connection/09 - Goodbye to Love.
Don Ellis' Connection, issued in 1972, was a brazen attempt at swinging for the chart fences. Most of the tunes selected come right from the pop vernacular of the day. They range from a barnburning read of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's theme for "Jesus Christ Superstar" and a dirty funk approach to Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move" to a provocative and spacy cover of Procol Harum's "Conquistador" that feels like the horn chart for Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" wedded to Mason Williams' "Classical. Ellis devotees will no doubt delight in Connection because of its abundance of sass, humor, and imagination, while jazz purists will shake their heads in disgust and others will greet the album with mix of curious bewilderment, a good-natured (hopefully) chuckle, and a perverse kind of glee.
Connection is a music studio album recording by DON ELLIS (Jazz ive Rock) released in 1972 on cd, lp, vinyl and/or cassette. Throughout this album Ellis and his top notch arrangers alter these tunes by dropping a beat in the chorus or jumbling parts together in polyphonic fashion which gives each tune a rebirth and a sense of energy that verges on chaos. JC) Superstar is manic, and like many of the tunes utilizes spare vocal snippets in the chorus for humorous and sarcastic effect.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Put It Where You Want It
Arranged By – Sam FalzoneWritten-By – J. Sample*
|A2||Alone Again (Naturally)
Arranged By – Milcho LevievWritten-By – R. O'Sullivan*
Arranged By – Milcho LevievWritten-By – A. L. Webber - T. Rice*
|A4||I Feel The Earth Move
Arranged By – Richard HalliganWritten-By – C. King*
|A5||Theme From "The French Connection"
Composed By, Arranged By – Don Ellis
Arranged By – Hank LevyWritten-By – G. Brooker*, K. Reid*
Arranged By – Fred SeldenWritten-By – J. Anderson*, S. Howe*
Composed By, Arranged By – Hank Levy
|B3||Goodbye To Love
Arranged By – Fred SeldenWritten-By – J. Bettis*, R. Carpenter*
|B4||Lean On Me
Arranged By – Earle CorryWritten-By – B. Withers*
|B5||Train To Get There
Composed By, Arranged By – Richard Halligan
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – CBS Inc.
- Copyright (c) – CBS Inc.
- Manufactured By – Columbia Records
- Manufactured By – CBS Inc.
- Lacquer Cut At – Customatrix
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Alto Flute – Vince Denham
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Flute [Bass], Alto Flute, Piccolo Flute – Fred Selden
- Baritone Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo Flute – Gary Herbig
- Bass – Dave McDaniel
- Bass Trombone – Ken Sawhill*
- Cello [Electric] – Pat Kudzia
- Co-producer [Associate] – Meade Brown
- Congas – Lee Pastora
- Design [Cover] – Anne Garner
- Drums – Ralph Humphrey
- Drums, Percussion – Ron Dunn
- Engineer – Phil Macy
- Engineer [Re-mix] – Stan Weiss
- French Horn – Sidney Muldrow
- Guitar – Jay Graydon
- Liner Notes – Leonard Feather, Leonard Feather
- Photography By – Barry Feinstein
- Piano, Organ, Clavinet [Hohner], Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes], Organ [Yamaha] – Milcho Leviev
- Producer – Teo Macero
- Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Sam Falzone
- Timbales, Percussion – Carmelo Garcia
- Tour Manager – Meade Artist Management
- Trombone – Glenn Ferris
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Bruce Mackay, Gil Rathel, Glenn Stuart, Paul Bogosian
- Trumpet, Trumpet [Electric], Flugelhorn – Don Ellis
- Tuba – Doug Bixby
- Viola [Electric] – Denyse Buffum
- Violin [Electric] – Earle Corry, Tom Buffum*
NotesQuarter-Tone Trumpet and Four-Valve Fluegelhorn by Holton
Ring Modulator by Oberheim Electronics
Clavinet by Hohner
Strings and Piano amplified by Barcus-Berry Transducer Systems
Echoplex by Market Electronics
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society (A1, A2, A5, B1, B2, B4, B5): BMI
- Rights Society (A3, A4, A6, B3): ASCAP
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side Label): AL 31766
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side Label): BL 31766
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side Runout Etching): o P AL 31766-3B P X T B8
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side Runout Etching): o P BL-31766-4A P X T D3
- Matrix / Runout (A-Side Runout - Variant 1): o P AL-31766-3A P X O
- Matrix / Runout (B-Side Runout - Variant 1): o P BL-31766-4A P X 60
|C 31766||Don Ellis||Connection (LP, Album)||Columbia||C 31766||US||1972|
|WOU 1766||Don Ellis||Connection (CD, Album, RE)||Wounded Bird Records||WOU 1766||US||2005|
|KC 31766||Don Ellis||Connection (LP, Album)||Columbia||KC 31766||Canada||1972|
|S65221||Don Ellis||Connection (LP, Album)||CBS||S65221||Netherlands||1972|
|SBP 234251||Don Ellis||Connection (LP, Album)||CBS||SBP 234251||Australia||1972|