In 2008 the members of Chief finished school, left New York City and returned home to the west coast with their suitcases stuffed full of soaring melodies, shimmering guitars, lovelorn lyrics and heart-stopping harmonies. Their debut album, Modern Rituals, is as rich and expansive as it is personal and intricate. This is a record so teeming with joyful desperation that you'll want to hold onto it with all your might.
Modern Rituals, the group's full-length debut, blends NY backbeats and jaded vocals with woolly West Coast harmonies and mellow vibes, and it works in the sense that Chief don't sound explicitly beholden to any single sound or style. But having disparate influences is faint consolation when you're less than the sum of your parts, and Chief fail to be more than an amalgam of other, better bands. At heart, Chief seem more or less like a bunch of hippies. Almost every song on Modern Rituals evokes a band of longhairs, whether it's the close, CSNY harmonies of "The Minute.
Genre: Alternative Rock. Or consider a donation?
Santa Monica-based indie rock outfit Chief's low-key debut oozes California sunset melancholy. Earnest, melodic, and slow to unfold, there’s not a bad song on here, but surprises are few and far between.
CHIEF - Modern Rituals Album. You can get here Modern Rituals Album Lyrics, Tracklist, Videos, Cover Picture and More.
|1||The Minute I Saw It|
|3||Wait For You|
|6||In The Valley|
|8||You Tell Me|
|11||Night And Day|
- Recorded At – The Boat
- Recorded At – Sargent Recorders
- Recorded At – Hobo Sound
- Mixed At – Hobo Sound
- Mastered At – The Lodge, New York
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Domino Recording Co. Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – Domino Recording Co. Ltd.
- Manufactured By – EMI Music Australia Pty. Limited
- Distributed By – EMI Music Australia Pty. Limited
- Artwork, Design – Bjorn Copeland*
- Design [Additional] – Rob Carmichael
- Management [Managed By] – Paul Adams
- Mastered By – Emily Lazar
- Mastered By [Assistant Mastering Engineer] – Joe LaPorta
- Producer, Recorded By, Mixed By – Emery Dobyns
- Violin – Rebecca Weiner (tracks: 7, 10)
- Written-By – Chief
NotesRecorded at The Boat Studios in Silverlake, CA.
Additional recordings at Sargent Studios, Los Angeles, CA and at Hobo Sound, Hoboken, NJ.
Mixed at Hobo Sound, Hoboken, NJ.
Mastered at The Lodge.
|DNO253LP||Chief||Modern Rituals (LP, Album, Gat)||Domino||DNO253LP||US||2010|
|DNO253P||Chief||Modern Rituals (CD, Album, Promo)||Domino||DNO253P||US||2010|
|DNO253CDP||Chief||Modern Rituals (CD, Album, Promo)||Domino||DNO253CDP||US||2010|
|WIGCD248||Chief||Modern Rituals (CD, Album)||Domino||WIGCD248||UK||2010|
|WIGCD248P||Chief||Modern Rituals (CD, Album, Promo)||Domino||WIGCD248P||UK||2010|