Sound-System is the thirty-sixth album by jazz pianist Herbie Hancock and the second of three albums with the Rockit Band. The second of the three Rockit band albums, Sound-System was another smash for Herbie Hancock. Winning his second Grammy award for Best R&B Performance (his second-straight award), this album tried to capture the success of the previous Future Shock, with some more twists and turns.
Yet Hancock's experiments with techno-pop were leading him in the general direction of Africa, explicitly so with the addition of the Gambian t Foday Musa Suso on half of the tracks. Junku," written for the 1984 Olympic Games with Suso's electrified kora in the lead, is the transition track that stands halfway between "Rockit" and Hancock's mid-'80s Afro-jazz fusions.
Jazz Rock Herbie Hancock. Band Name Herbie Hancock. Album Name Sound-System. Дата релиза Январь 1984. Лейблы Columbia Records Sony BMG. Released date January 1984. Labels Columbia Records Sony BMG. Music StyleJazz Rock. Members owning this album1.
Reissued, Remastered. Exclusive discount for Prime members. Sample this album Artist (Sample).
Sound System was the follow-up to Herbie's ground-breaking Grammy award winning album Future Shock, an album that had put him back in the limelight with it's imaginative mix of early 80s Hip Hop, Techno and World Beat. Hip Hop was a far different thing in the early 80s up to the early 90s, positive, vibrant and polyrhythmic, it brought new life to many artists that would seek it's influence. Sound -System is logical next step after Future Shock album. Using the very same techno-pop electronic rhythms and song structures, Hancock added at least two new things, which are doing this album more listenable. First, he made the sound a bit heavier, even using rock elements in some places. The opening song Hardrock (which isn't hard rock or even rock at all for sure) is Rockit analogue with much heavier sound and even heavy metal guitar line added.
Producers: Herbie Hancock, Bill Laswell. Main genre: Jazz, Blues. Contains samples of 1 song. Composers: Herbie Hancock, Foday Musa Suso, Bill Laswell Guitar: Nicky Skopelitis Kora: Foday Musa Suso Drums: Anton Fier Percussion: Aïyb Dieng Cymbals: Hamid Drake Keyboard: Herbie Hancock Programming: Will Alexander Mixer: Dave Jerden.
Sound-System (album), a 1984 album by Herbie Hancock. Soundsystem (311 album), 1999. Sound System Records, an Australian indie record label. Sound System", a song by Operation Ivy. Other. Sound System (album), a compilation album by The Clash. The Best of Herbie Hancock: Blue Note Years, Volume 20 released: 2004. Directions in Music: Live at Massey Hall released: 2002. Mouth Music released: 2001.
|B2||People Are Changing||6:03|
- Bass, Electronics – Bill Laswell (tracks: A1, B1, B2)
- Engineer – Billy Youdelman, Carolyn Collins, Hahn Rowe, Lawrence A. Duhart, Lothar Segeler, Sam Fishkin
- Guitar – Henry Kaiser (tracks: A1, A2), Nicky Skopelitis (tracks: A1, B3)
- Keyboards – Herbie Hancock
- Lyricon – Wayne Shorter (tracks: A2)
- Mastered By – Howie Weinberg
- Mixed By – Dave Jerden
- Percussion – Aiyb Dieng (tracks: A2, B1, B3), Anton Fier (tracks: A1, A2, B2, B3), Daniel Ponce (tracks: A1, A3), Foday Musa Suso (tracks: A2, B1, B3)
- Percussion [Cymbals] – Hamid Drake (tracks: A3, B3)
- Producer – Bill Laswell, Herbie Hancock
- Producer [Associate] – Tony Meilandt
- Programmed By [Fairlight] – Will Alexander (tracks: A1 to A3, B3)
- Recorded By – Rob Stevens
- Saxophone – Wayne Shorter (tracks: A3)
- Synthesizer [Xmd] – Rob Stevens (tracks: A1, B2)
- Trumpet – Toshinori Kondo (tracks: B3)
- Turntables – D. St* (tracks: A1, A2, B3)
- Vocals – Bernard Fowler (tracks: A2, A3, B2)
- Vocals [Speaker] – Toshinori Kondo (tracks: A2)
NotesDepósito Legal M-24944-1988
|FC 39478||Herbie Hancock||Sound-System (LP, Album)||Columbia||FC 39478||US||1984|
|28AP 2918||Herbie Hancock||Sound-System (LP, Album)||CBS/Sony||28AP 2918||Japan||1984|
|SRCS 9509||Herbie Hancock||Sound-System (CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Pap)||Sony Records||SRCS 9509||Japan||1998|
|CBS 26062||Herbie Hancock||Sound-System (LP, Album)||CBS||CBS 26062||UK||1984|
|20.585||Herbie Hancock||Sound-System (LP, Album, Promo)||Columbia, Discos CBS||20.585||Argentina||1984|